Krk. Vela Placa
We are leaving for the main settlement of the Croatian island of Krk, its central square. This ancient square is first mentioned in documents dating back to the middle of the 18th century. For several centuries, administrative buildings, as well as town halls and lodges, had been located around Vela Placa.
The high square tower on which this webcam is installed appeared on the western side of the square in 1489 and served as a gateway to the town, to which the road from the port led. Now, the tower is a tourist attraction, but until recently, the town hall and the courtroom were located here.
During the Middle Ages, trade was actively conducted on the square. One fair followed another. At that time, the port, located within walking distance from the square, was visited by vessels with various goods.
An interesting fact is that, for many years, they believed that the Roman Forum could have been located in Krk, but recent archaeological research has refuted this theory. In the pre-Roman period, the church of St. Stephen, which had existed until the end of the 15th century, was located on the site of modern Krk.
As you can see, now tourists are relaxing on the summer terrace of a cafe on the square. In the center is the coat of arms of Krk, which proudly flutters in the wind on a high flagpole.